Please be sure to go onto your ShulCloud account to make sure your contact information is up to date and we have your cell phone number/email. Please be sure your cell phone number is identified as a mobile number so you can receive updates via text. If we need to communicate with you, we need updated information! If you need help accessing your ShulCloud login, please call the BJBE office at 847.940.7575.
Please make sure to check our Facebook Page for our daily "BJBE Connects" messages from our clergy.
Stay connected with the whole BJBE Community through the links on our BJBE Connects page.
Greetings Congregational Community –
As we all make important and significant adjustments in our day to day lives and continue to monitor CDC guidance, we have made further changes in our BJBE plans. Social distancing is tantamount and guides these updated decisions.
First, our building will be closed starting tomorrow. We will, however, have very limited staff in the office from 9 am to 3 pm to answer the phones and handle details associated with being a virtual synagogue, and our maintenance team will be working to keep our building clean.
Second, Shabbat and Kol Shabbat will be virtual for the next two weeks: We encourage you to connect to our Facebook Page for a FB Live Stream.
- Shabbat (Friday) will be at 6 pm;
- Kol Shabbat (Saturday) at 9:30 am.
Third, the Women’s Seder (3/30) will be cancelled, as will all other programming in the building (much of which we communicated about last week) through the end of this month.
Our clergy team is available for appointments; please contact Leslie for Rabbi Kedar and Cantor Frost; and Caryn for Rabbi Fenster and Cantor Green to schedule time.
If you wish to reach a member of our team with any questions, concerns, comments, or for any other reason at all, please feel free to email any of us using this directory. We are here for you, and will respond via email or phone, whichever you prefer.
We continue to appreciate your understanding, flexibility, and commitment to ensuring the continued well-being of our community.
- The BJBE Team
Dear BJBE Community,
We write with another update regarding BJBE policies and plans relating to the COVID-19 outbreak, as part of our concerted efforts to do everything we can to mitigate the spread of the virus.
Communication with You
It is very important that we be able to text and email with you about status changes related to COVID-19. With that in mind, we offer a friendly reminder to:
- Go onto your ShulCloud account as soon as you can to make sure your contact information is up to date and that we have your cell phone number/email. If we need to communicate with you, we need to be sure we have your correct contact information.
- Check our website for status updates.
Our Shabbat plans for this weekend (March 13-14) remain as we communicated yesterday:
In general, we strongly encourage you to join services remotely if you are in a high-risk for COVID-19 category and/or if you are feeling unwell in any way.
- Friday night, services will be held at 7:30pm in the Sanctuary for those who would like to attend in person. If you would like to join virtually, please access the service via live stream or via Facebook Live via our Facebook page. Please note, there will be no Oneg.
- Saturday, the Kol Shabbat service will be held in the Sanctuary at 9:30am. If you would like to join virtually, please access the service via live stream or via Facebook Live via our Facebook page. There is no Oneg or Torah Study.
- B’nai Mitzvah services at 11:00am and 5:00pm (in the Sanctuary) will continue as planned.
The blood drive is still on! From 8am-1pm on Sunday in Sacred Hall, please come and donate blood. The CDC and Red Cross are encouraging able-bodied people to donate blood. One of the best ways we can protect the most vulnerable is to make sure that there is a good supply of blood at the ready for those who need it. If you’re unsure how to proceed amidst a time of uncertainty, this is a great way to perform acts of tikkun olam, healing the world.
The Chava Center will be closed effective immediately starting today through April 14. Please read this message from Susie Wexler, the Center’s Director:
“Although our building will not be open for children, we are not closing our relationships with children and their families. We are developing a plan to provide opportunities for daily interactions with students using technology, resources for parents, and ways to stay in touch with one another. Our goal is to follow the healthy goal for social distancing while we maintain close relationships.”
JLC and Chai School remain closed through Spring Break. As information continues to become available, we will make decisions about when we will reopen and whether we will move to virtual learning for a period of time. We will continue to update you, and please be in touch with Missy Bell with any questions or concerns.
Office and Building
For now the BJBE office and building will remain open during normal business hours of Monday to Thursday, 9:00am to 5:00pm; Friday, 9:00am to 4:00pm.
Please continue to watch your email for updates.
Thank you again for your unending patience, understanding, and forbearance during these challenging times.
The BJBE Team
We know this is an overwhelming and uncertain time. We at BJBE want to do our part to keep our community and neighborhoods safe and healthy.
Please note: At this time, we have no known cases of the COVID-19 virus within the BJBE community.
We have formed a rapid response team comprised of our clergy, educators, executive director, lay leadership, and medical professionals from the congregation. This team will meet on a regular basis to assess and evaluate the ever-changing situation.
As of now, our synagogue and office will remain open. Our rabbis, cantors, educators, and staff are here to support our community.
Support around all lifecycle and pastoral events continue. For clergy appointments, we will proceed as usual, though if you prefer a virtual appointment, please contact clergy support staff (Caryn and Leslie).
We continue to encourage you to stay home if you are feeling unwell or are in a high-risk category for the COVID-19 virus. We also encourage you to continue to practice rigorous hand-cleaning protocols, avoid touching your face, and cover your mouth/nose when sneezing/coughing.
The information below relates to the period starting tomorrow, Friday, March 13 through March 29. We will continue to monitor the rapidly evolving situation daily and will be in touch with any updates during these last weeks of March and beyond.The below is an overall guideline. If there is a program you are wondering about, please contact the BJBE office.
- BJBE Early Childhood Program at the Chava Center – as always, will follow the guidelines of District 109, remaining open if District 109 is open (spring break is March 23 to March 27). As of now, the Chava Center is open.
- JLC, Chai School, Confirmation, & Youth Group will be closed from now through March 30. Plan to resume after spring break -- Tuesday, March 31.
- Tutoring will continue as planned, though if you wish to arrange an appointment to be virtual, please contact Leslie.
- Tuesday Symposium, postponed
- Wednesday Talmud Study, cancelled.
- Shabbat Torah Study, cancelled
- Shabbat (March 13- 14)
Friday night, services will be held at 7:30 pm in the Sanctuary for those who would like to attend in person. If you would like to join virtually, please access the service via live stream or our Facebook page. Please note, there will be no Oneg.
Saturday, Kol Shabbat service will be held in the Sanctuary at 9:30am. If you would like to join virtually, please access the service via live stream or our Facebook page. There is no Oneg or Torah Study.
B’nai Mitzvahs, 11:00am & 5:00pm (in the Sanctuary) will continue as planned.
- Wednesday Morning Minyan (March 18), will not be held at the synagogue. We will form a virtual community through Zoom (stay tuned for additional information and the link). There will be no Wednesday morning Talmud Study.
- Matzah Ball Shabbat (March 20), TBD; plans to be announced next week.
Please note: the below information relates to the period through March 20. We will provide details for programming beyond that next week.
Mensch Club, Sunday, March 15 and Thursday, March 19, cancelled.
Blood Drive, Sunday March 15, will be held.
Post-Carpool Club event, Sunday March 15, cancelled.
Mahj for Moms, Tuesday March 17, cancelled.
Bridge Rentals, cancelled.
Sisterhood card games, at discretion of organizer.
Board/Executive Meetings for BJBE and Sisterhood, virtual through Zoom.
Other small meetings, at discretion of organizer.
We are motivated by the values of kindness and graciousness. We know that our community will cooperate in a loving and non-judgmental way. Our clergy will be communicating with you in the coming days with ways we can support the most vulnerable among us, as well as offer words of comfort to those of us who are feeling uncertain.
Please keep in touch with us and with each other.
We offer you our deep gratitude for your understanding and commitment to the enduring health and well-being of our community.
Please know that we are monitoring the COVID-19 situation continually and we be in touch with you by email or text with any pertinent information about closures.
Please be sure to go onto your ShulCloud account to make sure your contact information is up to date and we have your cell phone number/email. If we need to communicate with you, we need updated information! If you need help accessing your ShulCloud login, please call the BJBE office at 847.940.7575.
We remind you to:
- Avoid coming to BJBE (and other public spaces) if you are unwell in any way.
- Wash your hands regularly, for 20 seconds, and if there is no running water where you are, to use anti-bacterial hand sanitizer
- Grab handles and knobs with a tissue
- Cough into your arm
- Take the precautions you usually take to avoid contracting communicable diseases
We will be making the following changes at BJBE:
- We are convening a daily call of leadership, including with physicians, to discuss developments and relevant actions
- At onegs, (1) We will not have fruit until further notice; (2) we ask that when taking a treat from the buffet, please pick up the item with a napkin/tissue that will be on hand
- We have hand sanitizers throughout the building
Thank you for your patience and calm during this period of uncertainty and anxiety. Our community’s strength will guide and comfort us.
-The BJBE Team