United Power for Action and Justice is asking you to contact both your Illinois state senator and your Illinois state representative and give each of them the following message:
The time is NOW for universal health coverage in Illinois...and it's worth paying for.
Step 1: Contact YOUR state senator and YOUR state representative:
- On the Internet, go to www.elections.il.gov/districtlocator. Choose "find by address."
- At the prompt, put in your home nine-digit zip code or full address. You will get a list of ALL the elected officials from YOUR specific district.
- Click on the name of the state senator and then on the name of the state representative listed for your address. This will give you their regular mail and office phone numbers.
- Write separate notes to your state senator and state representative, giving the message below in your own words. Mail to them to their local address in an envelope with a first-class stamp. AND/OR
- If an e-mail address is listed, e-mail each official the message. (Please copy us on the e-mail at email@example.com or JALinder@bjbe.org so we know it was sent.) AND/OR
- Call the local phone number for the legislator and leave a similar message with whoever answers or on the legislator's voicemail. You do not have to speak with the legislator unless you wish to.
Step 2: Once you have done this yourself, ask NINE FRIENDS, NEIGHBORS or FAMILY MEMBERS anywhere in Illinois to do the same:
- Fax or hand them a copy of these instructions. If you prefer to e-mail this page, you can get an electronic copy by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Explain the issue to them and your involvement. Tell them that it is critical to act now to show their support for health care for all.
- Ask them to follow the instructions on this sheet and let you know when they have contacted their legislators.
When you and the other nine people have all contacted your legislators, let us know by sending an e-mail to email@example.com. You will be added to United Power's "Take Ten for Health Care" list of citizen leaders. We will keep you informed on the progress of this issue and let you when we need your to help again.
Sample Message to Legislators:
I support United Power for Action and Justice's campaign to make comprehensive, affordable health coverage available to all residents of Illinois. The time is now for universal health coverage in Illinois...and it's worth paying for. We want Illinois to be a leader, not a follower, in solving this national crisis.
(Note: If you or someone you know is without health insurance or in danger of losing their health coverage, or if you are an employer struggling to provide health insurance to your employees, be sure to add this information to your message. Give your name and voting or work address; phone number and e-mail address are optional.)